Next time you feed your sourdough starter don't throw away the discard. This easy savory pancake recipe will have you wanting to feed the starter more often.
(Makes 4 pancakes)
125 grams (about 3/4 cup) stirred down sourdough starter
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg
90g (3/4 cups) flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheddar (or Parmesan) cheese
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon Piment d'Ville (divided)
1/4 cup greek yogurt or creme fraiche
1 Tablespoon lime juice
Chopped cherry tomatoes and parsley (optional)
- Mix together the sourdough starter, egg and milk in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powered , 1/2 teaspoon Piment d'Ville and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the olive oil.
- Add scallions and cheddar cheese.
- Wait 30 minutes at room temperature to let the starter work its magic.
- Meanwhile mix the Crema in a separate bowl by combining the greek yogurt, lime juice, Piment d'Ville and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Heat the skillet to medium high and add olive oil to coat.
- Drop your batter onto the skillet or griddle and cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip to cook the other side, and cook until golden brown.
- Assemble on a plate with a dollop of the crema, and garnish with additional scallions, chopped cherry tomatoes and parsley.