Sourdough Starter Scallion Cheddar Pancake with Espelette Lime Crema
Next time you feed your sourdough starter don't throw away the discard. This easy savory pancake recipe will have you wanting to feed the starter more often.
(Makes 4 pancakes)
125 grams (about 3/4 cup) stirred down sourdough starter
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg
90g (3/4 cups) flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheddar (or Parmesan) cheese
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon Piment d'Ville (divided)
1/4 cup greek yogurt or creme fraiche
1 Tablespoon lime juice
Chopped cherry tomatoes and parsley (optional)
- Mix together the sourdough starter, egg and milk in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powered , 1/2 teaspoon Piment d'Ville and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the olive oil.
- Add scallions and cheddar cheese.
- Wait 30 minutes at room temperature to let the starter work its magic.
- Meanwhile mix the Crema in a separate bowl by combining the greek yogurt, lime juice, Piment d'Ville and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Heat the skillet to medium high and add olive oil to coat.
- Drop your batter onto the skillet or griddle and cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip to cook the other side, and cook until golden brown.
- Assemble on a plate with a dollop of the crema, and garnish with additional scallions, chopped cherry tomatoes and parsley.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes
Dive into the savory delight of our Christmas Lima Bean and Mushroom Bourguignon, a delectable twist on the classic French dish that transcends dietary preferences.
Finally a veggie broth worthy of your most elevated dishes. This broth gives you all of the deeply complex flavors and umami of bone broth without all the..well...meat.