This warm grain bowl makes a healthy desert or a decadent breakfast on fall mornings when plums are at their peak. Cooking the plums with their skin on colors the grains a show stopping pink while cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods deliver autumn spice that is balanced with a drizzle of maple syrup.
(Makes 2-4 servings)
1 cup whole sonora wheat berries
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom)
2 whole cloves
pinch of salt
6-8 ripe plums cut into slices
plain yogurt (diary free for vegan)
1. Combine the wheat berries, water, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and salt in a sauce pan.
2. Add half of the plums to the pot.
3. Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the grains are plump but not bursting.
4. Remove the cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves and the plum skins with tongs.
5. Serve in bowls with fresh plums, pecans and a spoon of yogurt. Sprinkle on some pecan halves and drizzle with maple syrup.
Comments will be approved before showing up.