Making your own gourmet Pop-Tarts at home couldn't be easier. A delectable maple pumpkin butter hand crafted by Laura Ann's Jams is the secret that makes them simple yet irresistible.
Home Made Pop Tart Recipe
- Pastry Dough (buy frozen pastry sheets like DuFour or make from scratch using the recipe below)
- Laura Ann's Jams Maple Pumpkin Butter
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk or milk alternative
For Pastry Dough:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
Pastry Dough Instructions:
- Blend together flour, butter, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps.
- Add 3 tablespoons of ice water and pulse in a food processor or mix with a fork. Squeeze a handful and if it doesn't hold together add a bit more water and pulse again.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gather the dough together with your hands or a bench scraper. Divide into 4 equal portions, forming a rough disk with each part. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Roll one pice of dough into a rough square about 1/8" thick. Cut the dough into equal size rectangles. Repeat with all 4 pieces of dough.
- Place a large spoonful of Laura Ann's Jams Maple Pumpkin Butter in the center of half of the pieces of dough and spread out with a spoon almost to the edge but leaving enough room to seal the edge.
- Use your finger to rub warm water around the edge of the dough and top with another rectangle. If they aren't quite the same size just stretch and mold the pastry pieces a bit to get a rough fit and seal the edges with your fingers, then press around the edge with the tines of a fork to get a nice pattern.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the poptart an inch apart. Brush each Pop-tart with an egg wash (one egg beaten). If you want them to be vegan simply skip this step. Let the Pop-tarts chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While the Pop-tarts are chilling make the glaze. In a small bowl combine confectioners sugar and cinnamon. Add the maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of milk (or milk alternative) and stir. If it is too thick add more milk a little bit at a time until you get your desired texture.
- Bake the pop-tarts for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool and then add the glaze, drizzling over the pop-tarts. Allow the glaze to set for at least 20 minutes before serving or storing for later.