This hearty warm salad is a delicious side or vegan main dish perfect for a festive holiday meal. Tart cranberries are balanced by the sweetness of butternut squash and apple cider making it a fall favorite.
1. Trim the hard stems off the chard and dice small. Set aside.
2. Toss the butternut squash with enough EVOO to lightly coat and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper. Add a sage leaves to the baking tray.
3. Bake squash at 400 for 20 minutes until just starting to brown on the edges.
4. Meanwhile place wheat berries in a pot, add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Add EVOO, shallots, garlic, chard stems, thyme leaves, salt and pepper to a dutch oven over medium high heat and sauté 3-5 minutes until starting to brown.
6. Add wine and cider jelly and stir until the jelly fully dissolves.
7. Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
8. Add cranberries and continue to reduce until they just start to pop. Reduce heat and add the cooked wheat berries and chard.
9. Cover until chard begins to wilt, gently folding the chard into the mixture.
10. When the chard is just wilted remove from the stove and add the butternut squash.
11. Taste and adjust seasonings. If the cranberries are still too tart you can add some honey. If it tastes too sweet add a bit of apple cider vinegar to balance.
Comments will be approved before showing up.